Saturday, August 2, 2008

I just came home from the country. When I say “country” I am speaking of Southern Utah, Toquerville to be exact, a small town that lies on Zion’s horizon. Through the kitchen window you can watch the sun rise over Zion’s peaks.
Toquerville is a four hour drive south on I-15. A town of folk and farm that evokes images one might call “Rockwell-esque”. It is easy for me to relax there, easy to sleep late and retire early. It feels good to be under the sun and in the gardens. One afternoon picking strawberries, the next making jam. I came home with a bounty, fresh picked corn and carrots, zucchini and squash, tomatillos and Serrano’s, leeks and kohl rabi. Fresh herbs and homemade breads. The afternoon spent making strawberry and blackberry jams and syrups was my favorite.
Perrie loves being in Toquerville, we went to the Tuacahn outdoor theater while we were there. An hour’s drive from Toquerville the Tuacahn sits among a backdrop of red rock, the location sets a stunning stage. Perrie also loves going to the theater, especially musicals, at Tuacahn we saw the musical Les Miserable. We hope to drive down in September and see the Secret Garden, (if I can break away from school for a few days). It felt wonderful to get away from the house and the move and even the dogs. I felt rested.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That sounds like so much fun and so fantastic! How was Les Mez?! I'm jealous all the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great at Mom and Dad's? So glad you could come!

    ReplyDelete